8.25.2009

loosening the apron strings

Can I really be embarking on this new life’s chapter? Six years ago it was easy to picture myself with a newborn baby in tow. Somehow at that time I failed to envision myself with a grade-schooler, but whoa—babies grow up, and fast.
I used to scoff at those cheesy parents on the first day of school, dabbing at tears with a bittersweet send-off to their children.
But today I was that mom exactly, down to the choked-back tears and thumping heart, waving disbelieving goodbye as my, MY little boy marched into Kindergarten. But I wasn’t the only sniffling parent, and I was grateful I didn’t have to pry a tear-streaked child from my arms to coax through the doors.
Isaac stood ready and straight in line, bright eyed, eager to follow his teacher where glossy books and new best friends and adventure all awaited like a hidden treasure.
But I had memorized our walk to school: how his small hand felt cupped protectively in mine, the way his eyes gleamed trustingly at me, his solemn words: “Mommy. I’m going to miss you when I’m at school.”