5.25.2010

192 miles and an aching tush later. . .

(photo courtesy of Lincoln!)

My new adorable friend (and personal cheerleader) is Caitlin Copple, who as my new biking buddy somehow convinced me to do the seemingly impossible: ride my bike 220 miles in two days with only two weeks of training. She was convincing; and I somehow insanely agreed to it!
With the threat of rainy, windy, cold weather looming, we headed out anyway on Saturday. Although the clouds threatened us more than once, amazingly the roads remained dry, and we rode 112 miles in near bliss on Saturday.
Sunday morning dawned cold and rainy, so we determined to fudge--just a bit--by starting out about a quarter of the way on the return trip. Although Caitlin's willpower and gusto were intact, a pain in her poor knees was sending sharp pains to her head--not a good sign to continue. And though she bowed out she still cheered me on, offering her ipod and booties, and even met me at the finish along with Jed and the boys.
I truly surprised myself by biking 192 miles, part of it alone. In all honesty, I didn't think I could do it. I guess it goes to show the power of your own will, but especially the championing of a good friend.