10.20.2008

a date with nature

The Lookout Nature Center, located near Buffalo Bill's grave and museum at the top of Lookout Mountain, has some really cool activities for kids.  We enjoyed a nice hike and learned about fall and changing leaves and nature's hues.  At the end we ironed crayon shavings inside wax paper, hole-punched them, ready to hang on the window. Isaac spotted these little yellow flowers and wanted to pick one for me.  After my gentle admonition about why it's a sweet sentiment but not allowed, he insisted on the next best thing--taking this photo of me next to them. Isn't this the cutest little backpack/leash?  Lincoln even loves to tote it around and snuggle with it. On our hike I did allow Isaac to gather beautiful dried stalks that had already fallen on the trail (since we weren't technically picking them, I okayed it) and we arranged them in a vase at home to remind us of our wonderful day.  At one point we even came within a few feet of a mule deer.  I was so gratified that my boys, instead of yelling or frightening her, remained motionless and mute, reverencing her rare presence.   Lincoln thought it was hilarious to stick his finger in my ear from his strategic position in the backpack!